3.15.2013

Taboo

There are some things you aren't allowed to discuss in today's society. If you do dare mention them outside your little accepted circle, you're called a bigot, close-minded, legalistic and worse. One of those "taboo terms" is submission.

Many different reactions will arise from speaking this little word aloud. Some will look at you funny, but hear what you have to say. Others will agree wholeheartedly with every word. But the majority will (if you are male) a domineering tyrant who enjoys degrading women and (if you are female) a poor misguided, sheltered, naive child who needs to come to see the "truth" about a woman's place in this world.

So, then, what is a woman's place in the world? Different post for a different day. And one I've wanted to do for a while. But these things take some planning and, while I hope it to be written in the near future, I can't promise anything.

What is the official definition of submission?

 To yield, resign or surrender to the power, will or authority of another; with the reciprocal pronoun.-Webster's 1828
 What submission is NOT: Giving up who you are. Giving up your rights as a person, or a Christian, in a violation of your person,  politically or physically.

Submission is a tough thing. Tougher than contentment. Tougher than gratitude. Not quite as hard as learning to hold your tongue, but almost. I know only because I've struggled with them both for most of my life. When I get around to finally writing my testimony, I'll relate the whole tale. For now, I'll just give you a quick summary.

I came to the Throne of Grace at 9 years old. I figured, now that I'm out of Hell, I'm good to go. And let everything else go. There was fruit of salvation; my parents will attest to that.Yet, for ten years, yes, 10 years, I lived as though I was not saved at all. And I was in utter inner turmoil. And then, a little light started to do a little dance in the back of my dark brain. Through various words, sermons, songs, verses, classes, God began to show me what I was really like, and I was shocked. The moment when everything lined up, when the light bulb when on, was when I was in our college-level Bible/Theology study at church (Faith Bible Institute). We were studying 1 John. And a verse came up about walking in light.

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.-I John 1:7

Then the teacher went on to explain that submission is just walking in light! (And you thought I'd forgotten what I was writing about. *sheepish smile*) Here's how he put it: I've been cleansed by salvation, and now, I walk in the holy light of His presence, so every spot of sin can be clearly seen and, through confessing and forsaking sin, my spots are cleaned. That's right. So, how do you walk in light? 

Easier said than done. And that always frustrated me. For 10 years I'd keep saying to myself "I know I need to submit, everyone tells me that's the next step, but HOW do I submit?" Granted, I wasn't actually looking very hard for an answer. (My mom gave me good book after good book, and I wouldn't read them. And when I did, I didn't learn anything. Isn't it interesting how selective our capabilities are when we so choose them to be limited? We really can't see past the end of our nose if we insist that there is nothing to see.)

Okay, pay close attention. If you don't you'll miss the simple brilliance in this statement.

The best way to submit: stop trying to submit, and just...submit. Let go.

I know that answer isn't completely satisfactory, so, I'll tell you what I specifically did. 
Get your Bible, or open one online, or you can click here: Bible Gateway.

1- Be humble (I Peter 5:5, James 4:6) This is a hard one. And it shouldn't be. 

2- Acknowledge God's grace is the only way to submit and have victory over sin. Then ask Him for grace.
      (I Peter 5:5, I John 1:16, 17)

3- Believe that because you asked, God will give it to you. (Hebrews 4:16, Ephesians 4:7, James 4:2, Matthew 7:7)

4-Accept the victory He has given. He's already won the battle. Go into the fight knowing that it's already won. (I Corinthians 15:57, I John 5:4)

* And all this is done BEFORE you've actually done anything.*

Now for something you can actually DO. 

 DO NOT MOVE ON TO STEP FIVE IF YOU HAVEN'T COMPLETED THE FIRST FOUR STEPS.
This seems unimportant, but if you go into this with the wrong attitude or perspective you'll be even more frustrated and wondering "why isn't this working?!".

With that in mind...

5- Pick one sin you struggle with. Start simple. For me, it was having the right attitude when asked to do something I didn't want to do. So this is what I'll use in my example. Alright, next step.

6- The next time Mom tells me to, say, take a load of boxes and loose items up to the attic, I'll stop, remind myself "Kaitlin, God wants you, as His child, to walk in light" then, put a smile on my face-whether I feel like smiling or not- and go do it. Next time, it will be easier to pretend you want to do it. And eventually, maybe not today, tomorrow, this week or this month, but soon, your emotions will follow your actions. And this goes for anything, but that's a different topic, for a different post. 

Read Ephesians 6:1


"Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right."

So, loosely translated, the verse says this:

Kids, when your feelings of obedience are so strong that if you don't obey, you'll burst, then obey your parents for the time is right.

No. Not by a long shot.

It doesn't say to FEEL obedient. It says OBEY. Once you do, You'll feel it. It's so simple that I'm pictorially banging my head against a wall. But not literally. Only because the wall I'm next to now has chair-rail and even my hard head wouldn't stand up to that for long.

I hope this helps you. It's been helpful to me to write it.

One last though before I sign off.

"But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me."-I Corinthians 15:10

Until next time.
K

No comments: