7.28.2014

Making Joyful Noises

Our family is very fond of music. Almost always there is music playing. During school, making dinner, going to sleep, working outside, you name it, we probably do it while listening to music, or at least singing. Broadway has always been my favorite genre. However, when I'm "where I need to be", spiritually speaking, I crave godly music.

One may ask, does the type of music we listen to really matter? I believe it does. Mankind is an emotional creature, and, at least for me, music is a massive influence. When I'm down, stressed, tired or excited, or worried, or hurting, or joyful, or in a song-in-my-heart mood, I play piano or sing. Sometimes both. (And sometimes I even do a little dance--but if you bring that up, I'll deny it!) So, in short, our almost-200-year-old baby grand has gotten to know my fingertips intimately. Music can sympathize with the soul on an subconscious level (quite literally) thus effecting our emotional responses. Music can lift up or drag down. Because man was made to glorify God, and music is one way to bring Him glory, one may conclude that man was made for music.

But so was Satan. More than being made for musical ability (as man is) Satan was a musical instrument. It was a part of his literal being.
" ...the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. "- Ezekiel 28: 13
Obviously, when in perfection, this ability was used for the praise of God. But, as with all other God-honoring things, he has perverted them to bring his own glory. We must be discerning. In reality, anything that doesn't bring honor to God is dishonoring. This is tough to swallow, I know. Especially if you think you  are listening to "harmless" and "fun" music. But I have found that when I listen to music that isn't specifically God-honoring, I feel...well... grimy. Try it. See if you go back.

There are many ways to make joyful noises. The catbirds in their nest outside my bedroom window make joyful noise every single morning, rain or shine, starting about 5-something AM. Not that I'm usually up that early... My brothers make joyful noises when they're tussling each other on the hill beside our house or riding their bikes down said hill as fast as possible. Our family's 6 piece orchestra makes joyful noises. Our late pastor used to say " if you can't sing good, sing loud." and he practiced what he preached...

But let's stick to music so as not to complicate things.

Joyful noises don't have to be on key or even on-tune. Like singing a lullaby to a baby. They don't care how you sound- it's just soothing to hear your voice. Think of it this way- we're God's children, right? Who doesn't like to hear kids singing? When the church's progeny are up front around Christmas belting out Silent Night, who cares if their all on the same note/word/song at the same time? Except for the frustrated music directors, no one cares. Especially not the proud Mums and Dads.

Do yourself a favor--Wherever you find yourself today, sing a song. Hum a little. Let a spring come to your step. Blare a hymn out your car windows on the highway. Belt out a favorite you haven't sung for a while.  Let loose of the reigns for a bit. Just praise the King.

Or better yet, praise Him with a friend.

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul shall make her boast in the Lord: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad.
O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together.-Psalm: 34:1-3

1 comment:

Brianna Wachter said...

I think a lot of my love of music came from you and your love and genuine praise through your music. (we know music doesn't come naturally to me :)) Thank you for inspiring me to greater musical heights (however scary that prospect may be :))