7.12.2009

Week 3 of the One thing I did this week summer challenge

I love Narnia. since i first read the books, i have been one of the biggest Narnia fans. All of us have Narnian nicknames, here's how they run-
My parents are Polly Plummer and Digory Kirke
I'm Susan Pevensie
Brianna is high king Peter Pevensie (we ran out of girls)
Emma is Lucy Pevensie- and really is very much like her
Nathaniel is Caspian "10th of that name, who some call Caspian the Navigator"
Aedan is Edmund Pevensie. he really is "the Just"
Samuel is Eustace Clarence Scrubb
Ellie is Jill Pole
...and Emma's friend Grace is Aravis.
If you have a favorite Narnia book or Character please leave me a comment and tell me so!
Here is my favorite pic of the four sovereigns of Cair Paravel (the Pevenise kids in their castle)
L to R: King Edmund the Just; High King Peter the Magnificent; Queen Susan the Gentle; Queen Lucy the Valiant But this post isn't about Narnia- not really, I mean.
It's about one thing I did this week. Which actually is related to what I went on about earlier.
Because I'm called Queen Susan, I like to try to be like her. I'm working on the "Gentle" part. But for now I'm focusing on another of her traits. Archery. I've always loved bows and arrows. even before I ever held a real one in my hands. I think it's the glamour of knights and damsels in distress, ladies and battles, castles and royalty (what girl doesn't want to be the beautiful princess?). When the local home school branch of our Public school system, told my family they were organizing a home school archery class, we all jumped at the idea. Finally my chance to really be a Queen Susan! in consequence of that class, we purchased a bow and target and a generous leader of the home school branch donated four arrows. Every once in a while, we would pull the set out of the shed and practise. We weren't good at all, well, except Pa.
One more thing you must understand before I tell you of what we did this week- grab on and hang with me here!:)
For weeks, my family had all worked together to plan a weekend of "Camp Wachter". We were going to have a weekend away from it all. cell Phones, computers, i pods, blackberrys (pa's mini computer/cell) all left behind. We didn't answer the telephone and only came indoors for the restroom and to retrieve items from the extra basement refrigerator that needed to stay cold, milk for example. (this is roughing it in my family). For four days, we had fun activities and devotions. One of these activities was...
(Now i have arrived at my main topic!- drum roll, please...)
Making bows and arrows! all of our very own!
Here's Aedan trying out his.
Now that we can all practise together we've put so many holes into the target that Mom said we may have to buy a new one soon! To make your own real bow and arrows you need:
  • 40" length of PVC piping
  • nylon string
  • colored electrical tape
  • 6"of pipe insulation
  • 2- !8" long dowel rods
  • 2 rubber eraser pencil toppers
  • scissors
  • small saw
  • adult supervision- even for "big kids"
  • a helper (preferably the adult that is supervising)
  1. First take your PVC and cut notches about 1" long and deep enough to cut through to the hollow center. They should be opposite each other about 1" from each end of the piping. Cut identical ones on the other side.
  2. Decorate your bow with the electrical tape. Many different design schemes can be used.(This is where your imagination can have fun!)
  3. Now take your nylon string(still on the roll) and tie one end securely, making sure the string rests tightly in the notches on either side.(This keeps the string from sliding on the PVC)
  4. Have your helper hold onto the bow with both hand near the end, but leave enough room for you to work. Have them bend the bow so it takes it proper shape. while they hold it tie the other end of the string so tight that it makes a clear "twang" when plucked.
  5. take your pipe insulation, and slit it lengthwise on one side. wrap it tightly round the center of the bow handle. hold it in place with electrical tape.
  6. your bow is complete so make some arrows! take your dowel rods and decorate them, too. we used the electrical tape in the same color and design as our bows. markers and stickers can be used also. Be sure to leave one end clear of any tape or stickers.
  7. On the end you left clear, make a tiny notch in the center. this is where you will place your arrow on the string to shoot. this should be done by and older kid or adult, because of the use of a razor knife.
  8. place eraser toppers over the other end of your arrows and practise, practise, practise. And make sure to play safe. Don't ever point at anything moving! Not only are moving targets harder to hit, they're usually something you don't want to hit! (people, pets, cars, etc.) also be sure that your shooting area is clear before you shoot. Never shoot toward a road or house. f you live in a neighborhood where the houses are close, try an empty field or ask a local farmer if he has a field you could practise in.(by the way, trees make excellent targets.)

thanks for reading and have fun!

4 comments:

Näna said...

You'll get better at archery...look at me;)(wink,wink). Nice pic...are you going to make your dress an exact match, or just similar?
-H.K.P.

Anonymous said...

Your family is quite amazing! I love the way you all work together to make your camp a spectacular event. I think your mother is a heroine.

♥Hope

Kaitlin said...

Oh, Miss Hope,
That is so very true! My Mother is one of the many, everyday, unsung heroes and heroines of today's world!
-kittikat

Lucie Manette said...

I'm here catching up on past posts...in answer to the question about favorite Narnian character...get ready because I'm going to blow you away with surprise...Susan! (You'd never have guessed that, right?)